Saturday, August 30, 2008

Self-Doubt, Fear and Radical Gratitude

I want to share this email and my response about joy and radical gratitude. After reading The Art of Radical Gratitude, the following question arose:

“Your book is full of beautiful images and words that cause me to reflect and put into practice.

My question as an analogy:
My question is, when you get there, when you have obtained joy, happiness and bliss, then what? I feel undeserving of it. I feel as if I have earned my way to the end of the diving board and I have a decision. I can either dive my favorite, most beautiful, elegant dive or allow my self-doubt to push me off, plunge in fear and have to climb the ladder again and try to find my way to end of the board to experience again. Is the answer in the rainbow, the glass ceiling?”

From what I have read and from my personal experience, there is the choice, moment to moment to choose grace, joy and gratitude or self-doubt and fear. This is not a one-time event for most people; it is a choice at each breath. The joy and gratitude keep going deeper, ever deeper, with no end. The gift of the self-doubt and fear is to follow that, rather than run the other way, and breakthrough into joy in the absolute depths of fear, terror and self-doubt. That is the practice!

The answer is in the moment, living your life in joy and gratitude, no matter what! What a truly radical stance to take!

“Thank you so much! Now I understand how radical it is. And how difficult it is to have such joy when the rest of our society and world does not feel this way.
Thank you, in the moment, I choose gratitude!”

No comments: